Our Legal Partners:
Glenn M. Rumbell
As founding partner, Glenn Rumbell brings almost 30 years of business law experience, a distinguished top legal firm background and a passion for helping startups. Since the early 1990s, he has forged a successful and varied career as a lawyer, entrepreneur and investor in Canada’s legal, investment and technology industries.
Glenn provides legal advice to established and growing businesses (including startups) on a broad range of matters. This includes corporate structuring, venture capital and angel financing, shareholder agreements, technology licensing, professional services agreements, and buying and selling businesses. In addition to his deep legal insights, Glenn is known for putting his clients first, and for explaining complex legal terms in clear language, in a way that resonates with business owners.
In his early career, Glenn practiced as a commercial lawyer with the prestigious Toronto business law firm Smith Lyons (now part of Gowling WLG). He left Smith Lyons to become president and CEO of Communix Corporation, a Toronto-based consumer reporting and legal services company. From 1996 to 2002, he served as partner and general counsel of McLean Watson Capital Inc. a private venture capital fund managing over $140 million of investment funds. Glenn went on to establish a legal practice centering on a small group of technology companies and technology investors. Then in 2006, together with esteemed lawyer Martin V. Ross, he founded Ross Rumbell Business Law.
Education & certifications
Glenn graduated from the University of Toronto majoring in political economy and graduating magna cum laude. He went on to obtain his LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School, York University majoring in business law, was awarded the Ivan Cleveland Rand Prize for achieving Osgoode Hall’s highest standing in the course of Public & Constitutional Law. Glenn is a member of the Law Society of Ontario.
- The Investment Funds Institute of Canada, IFSE Exempt Market Products Course
- Covid-19 and Breach of Contract a/k/a Force Majeure to the Rescue!
- Aggressive Business Valuation – Is It Worth It?
- Director Liability Under Canada’s Anti-spam Laws
- 2019 Brings Sweeping Changes to Canadian Privacy Policies
- Ontario’s Capital Markets Are Failing Non-public Companies
- Tips for Protecting Your Brand
- Difference in NDA Contracting Practices Between Canada and Europe
- Timing and the Combined Effect of Share Issuances on Company Equity
- Employee Stock Plan and Its Impact on Subsequent Share Issuances
- Planning and Working with Share Capital
- Know Your Investor: Do Your Due Diligence
- The Holistic Nutritionist’s Guide to Lawful Practice in Canada, 1st Edition, 2nd Edition
Boards of directors and community activities
Throughout his career, Glenn has always generously supported his business, academic and legal communities. He has participated on numerous boards and committees, and is today a respected business law lecturer, author, advocate, and passionate thought leader in his field. Here are a few of his community-based activities:
- Canadian Venture Capital Association, Professional Development Committee
- University of Toronto, The Principal’s Alumni Advisory Committee
- Toronto Business Development Centre, Lecturer on business law
- Grapple Law, Lecturer on business law
- Rotary International (Centre Wellington Branch), Secretary
- Canadian Association of Natural Nutritional Practitioners, Director & General Counsel
- The Jam 83 Kincort (a non-profit musician’s organization), Director & Secretary
“Unlike many lawyers, Glenn brings a realistic business perspective and ‘can do’ attitude in dealing with challenges. Perhaps most importantly, Glenn has an easy-going style and great sense of humour that always makes the tough times that much more pleasant. The most flattering thing I can say is that I have recommended Glenn, time and time again, to anyone who has asked me to recommend a great lawyer.”